Date: 21 August 2017
Area’s affected: KZN, Eastern Cape, Western Cape, Gauteng, Limpopo and Mpumalanga
Risk: Risk that adverse weather conditions may occur
Period: 21 August until 27 August 2017
Synopsis: A cold front will affect the SW Cape today, cloudy conditions are expected with some drizzle along the mountains before the main band of rain passes over this evening. 10-15mm of rain is expected widely with up to 40mm near the mountains. The winds will be fresh and from the NW.
By tomorrow morning, the front will have move into the interior of the Western Cape but will also affect the coast and adjacent interior of the area between Cape Agulhas and Port Alfred. Over these areas 5-10mm of rain is expected along with strong westerly winds. Gale force winds of 70-80km/hr are also likely in exposed places like Cape St Francis and over southern parts of PE.
By Tuesday afternoon the front will also introduce gusty W winds over large parts of the highveld of South Africa (approximately S of a line Gaborone to Richards Bay and including Gauteng). Over these areas wind gusts of up to 70km/hr are likely.
Late on Wednesday evening or on Thursday morning, another cold front will lead to some light rain along the coast between Lange Baan and PE; 5-10mm of rain can be expected with strong W winds along the coast between Plettenberg Bay and Port
Weather conditions are then expected to be settled for the rest of the week other than the risk of fog patches and drizzle along the Mpumalanga and Limpopo lowveld and escarpment over the weekend and a very low chance of a thunderstorm on the Highveld.
Hailstorms: Not expected.
Intense lighting: Very low chance on the Highveld over the weekend.
Fire risk: Moderate chance on Tuesday afternoon over large parts of the Highveld due to gusty winds.
Flash flooding: Low to moderate chance of some flash flooding near the mountains in the SW Cape on Monday evening (tonight). There is a very low chance of some flash flooding near the mountains in Cape Town late on Wednesday or early on Thursday morning.
Other: There is a high chance of strong to gale force winds along the coast between Cape Agulhas and Port Alfred on Tuesday.
There is a high chance of gusty and strong winds over large areas of the Highveld on Tuesday.
There is a high chance of frost over the southern interior of the country on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday morning.
There is a moderate chance of strong to gale force winds along the coast between Plettenberg Bay and Port Alfred late on Wednesday and into Thursday.
There is a moderate chance of snow on the mountains above 1500m in the Western Cape on Tuesday.
Definitions: Very high 90-100% chance.High 80% chance. Moderate 60% chance. Low 40% chance. Very low 20% chance.
Please take a moment to give us your suggestions