1. Business Banking
Nedbank Business Banking is well-known in the market for its specialist approach, offering financial and banking services to medium-sized businesses. With over 65 decentralised offices across South Africa, we are in a position to make quick decisions and provide our easily accessible services to clients wherever they are.
Business Banking believes in partnerships and strives to develop long-term relationships with clients to help them grow their businesses. We understand that every business and industry is unique in terms of its operating environment, financial requirements and goals. Therefore, skilled business managers are supported by a team of specialists with an in-depth knowledge, expertise and understanding of the industries and environments in which each client's business operates.
The range of solutions that we offer clients includes investment, lending and transactional services. There are also specialised solutions that cater for agriculture, franchising, medical and public sector clients – each carefully developed and customised to cater for every client's particular needs and
By structuring our business in this manner our clients enjoy a single point of contact through one of our many professional client service teams, which include sales, credit and service staff.
Qualifications and skills
At Business Banking we Make Things Happen and we want to enable you to make your future happen too. If you have the qualifications and competencies we’re looking for, you will fit well. Ideal candidates should hold a Bachelor of Commerce with Finance or Accounting as a major (an honours degree will be an advantage). However, the following qualifications may also be considered:
The competencies and characteristics that will set you apart are excellent communication skills, creativity, analytical thinking, being a team player, business acumen and good problem-solving skills. Above all, we value innovative people who are passionate about delivering great business results.
- Degrees with Economics as a major
- Certain Bachelor of Science qualifications (eg Agriculture)
- Degrees with Marketing as a major
- Bachelor of Technology in Accounting or Finance
- Bachelor of Business Administration
Click here to apply.
2. Retail Banking
Nedbank Retail's strategic intent is 'to deliver a choice of distinctive, client-centred banking experiences' for all in southern Africa, thereby fostering enduring client relationships underpinned by sound risk management, people, processes and technology.
Nedbank Retail serves a diverse range of clients, including high-net-worth individuals, the youth, families and small businesses. The needs of all clients are met using various comprehensive products delivered through different banking channels, including traditional branches, ATMs and digital access such as internet, telephone and cellphone banking.
We combine our comprehensive range of products, deep client insights and excellent channels to deliver a choice of distinctive and client-centred banking experiences.
Our operating model is organised around knowing our clients and servicing them through the following areas:
Our operating model is further underpinned by three support services, namely:
- The client segment helps us to understand our clients' needs and aspirations by gathering and analysing client insights.
- Relationship Banking: This division helps client relationships to be supported by robust value delivery.
- The product segments assist in the development of a diverse range of products and offerings to meet our clients' needs and aspirations.
- The servicing and delivery channels ensure that our clients enjoy a client-centred banking experience and are able to choose the channel of service delivery that suits their unique requirements.
Qualifications and skills required
- Shared Services: This division provides support services, including human resources, finance, projects, strategic planning and business intelligence services.
- Retail Risk: This division is responsible for the monitoring of compliance and all risks, including credit and operational risk, and for providing legal services to the business divisions.
- Retail Marketing: This division provides marketing support to the business divisions and assists in coordinating marketing activities across the broader Nedbank Group.
Nedbank Retail requires graduates with a diverse range of skills and qualifications to ensure that we deliver on our strategic intent.
If you are qualified in the following, please do not hesitate to contact us:
We also require graduates who are:
- Business management
- Sales and marketing
- Credit and risk management
- Information technology
If you feel that these qualities describe you, then we believe with your unique and valuable contribution Nedbank Retail can deliver memorable services to its clients and achieve its objectives.
- problem solvers;
- driven and determined; and
- good teamplayers.
Retail Graduate Programme 2014
Click here to apply.
3. Group Risk
The Group Risk Cluster manages risk as an enabler and is aligned to the need of business to achieve a balance between risk and reward. This is defined within Nedbank's first, second and third line of defence structure that aspires to an integrated approach to governance, risk and compliance. Group Risk fulfills an independent risk oversight (second line of defence), internal audit and an assurance role (third line of defence), providing pragmatic risk management leadership, guidance and counsel to the first line of defence functions, enforcing accountability for risk management linked to strategic deliverables. In addition, a first line of defence function by Group Risk Services is to provide a safe and secure banking environment by focusing on security, safety, fraud, regulatory and business continuity risk management governance frameworks and policies.
'By accepting accountability for our actions and taking pride in our work, every one of us as an employee can contribute to minimising risk'.
Chief Risk Officer, Philip Wessels
Group Risk comprises:
Group Operational Risk Management
Operational risk is the risk of loss resulting from inadequate or failed internal processes, people and systems or from external events (this definition includes legal risk and excludes strategic and reputation risk).
There are seven classes of operational risk:
- Internal fraud.
- External fraud.
- Employment practises and workplace safety.
- Clients, products and business practices.
- Damage to physical assets.
- Business disruption and system failures.
- Execution, delivery and process management.
Group Market Risk Monitoring
Group Market Risk Monitoring's role is to develop and maintain a dynamic trading and market risk monitoring capability for the Nedbank Group that supports successful participation in the various domestic and international markets within the risk appetite of the organisation.
Group Credit Risk Monitoring
A sound credit culture is the fundamental and philosophical core that guides the group - a clear vision of what credit risk to take, the desired risk appetite in exchange for a desired return and policy guidelines that support and govern the credit risks of the enterprise - setting the right tone, and thus enabling the exploitation of credit opportunities, through good times and bad.
Group Risk Services
Group Risk Services strives to provide a range of proactive specialist and professional risk services and products to ensure a safe, secure, crime-free, resilient and regulatory compliant transacting, working and banking environment for our clients, staff, stakeholders, shareholders and the public. We believe effective risk management with a zero tolerance for crime and non-compliance leads to a great place to work, bank and invest.
Group Risk Services comprises the following areas:
- Group Security and Safety Services.
- Group Forensic Services.
- Personnel Integrity Management and Risk Information Management .
- Specialised Risk Services.
- Group Exchange Control Services.
- Group Regulatory Risk Programmes.
- Group Personal Information Office.
Nedbank has a zero tolerance policy towards fraud and corrupt activities. In terms of the policy all employees immediately have to report any fraud, corruption, theft or similar illegal behaviour that is suspected or discovered to management and the Risk Officer who need to report it to the internal reporting channels. Employees or the public can also do a report under the Protected Disclosures Act or, if they want stay anonymous, they can report the matter to Tip-off anonymous on 0800 909 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enterprisewide Risk Management
Enterprise-wide risk management is a structured and disciplined approach aligning strategy, processes, people, technology and knowledge with the purpose of evaluating and managing the opportunities, uncertainties and threats the group faces as it creates value. It involves integrating risk management effectively across an organisation's risk universe, business units and operating divisions, geographical locations and legal entities.
Group Legal comprises the legal advisers for the Nedbank Group. Nedbank Group Corporate Insurance manages the group's insurable risk.
Group Internal Audit
The purpose of Group Internal Audit is to provide independent, objective assurance and consulting services designed to add value and improve the operations of the Nedbank Group. It helps Nedbank Group accomplish its objectives by bringing about a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of systems that control the management of risk and governance processes.
At Nedbank Group Risk we employ graduates with skills and qualifications in the following fields: any form of legal qualification such as LLB, BCom Law, BProc, BJuris, certificate in criminal justice and forensic auditing, BCom Accounting; BSc and BCom (Hons), B Degree or honours degree in finance on equivalent, CIA, credit diploma, CFA; postgraduate degree in mathematical finance, statistics, operations, research and risk management.
Click here to apply.
4. Investment Banking
||Nedbank Capital is one of South Africa's leading investment banks. We provide a full-spectrum investment banking offering to our many clients through our structuring, lending, underwriting and trading businesses.
Our business boasts significant expertise in the energy, resources, infrastructure and industrial sectors and partners with clients in these sectors across Africa. We are proud of our track record and our ability to bring fresh thinking to the market, and have been involved in some of the biggest deals in our sector.
The purpose of Nedbank Capital's graduate programme is to:
- deepen our talent pool and widen the talent bench;
- build the leadership pipeline at the graduate and talent levels;
- grow our own talent from grassroots level;
- create positive experiences that will lead to improved engagement and retention; and
- support the development of an abundance of skills and talents.
We are a client- and people-centred business, and our graduate programme gives our people opportunities to be innovative. These opportunities enable each individual to build superior levels of experience and expertise. Our programme also gives our graduates:
- exposure to critical theoretical and practical training;
- improved career opportunities and acceleration of career paths through participation in a leadership and skills development programme;
- access to an alumni network of peer group members, which is based on a joint performance experience; and
- the opportunity to become an agent of change.
Everything we do is underpinned by our values of integrity, respect, accountability, pushing beyond boundaries and being people-centred. It is important to us that we employ people who identify with and share our philosophy.
We are looking for graduates with strong academic qualifications who have the ability to work in teams and bring innovation and intellect to the team. These individuals must also demonstrate drive and creativity, and a positive attitude of making things happen by joining a great place to work with people who do great work.
We are looking for graduates with any of the following qualifications:
Click here to apply.
- Bachelor of Business Science in Finance, Economics or Accounting.
- A Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Maths, Maths and Stats or Actuarial Science.
- Advanced Maths of Finance.
- Financial Engineering.
- BCom (Hons) in Investment Management and Analysis.
5. CA Training Programme
|CA Training Programme
||In 1997 the Nedbank Group was the first approved training office (ATO) to be accredited by SAICA to offer training outside public practice. The programme offers exceptional study and developmental benefits outside the SAICA framework. Our proven track record of high pass rates bears testimony to the study support we provide for our trainees.
Over the past 16 years, Nedbank has trained and developed a growing number of CAs, who are highly regarded wherever they make their mark, not only because they are inherently talented individuals, but also due to the 'finishing' they received in becoming young professionals. Through the Nedbank CA Training Programme, more than 100 trainees have qualified as chartered accountants over the past 16 years.
Our trainees are afforded the opportunity of having individually tailored rotations across the bank, all with a future career focus. Although rotations are mostly Gauteng-based, there are exciting rotations in London, Durban and Cape Town, for which trainees can apply. The training programme is a designated 3 year learnership.
Click here to apply.
|| Nedbank is an industry leader in quantitative risk and capital management, having gained regulatory approval for the most advanced risk measurement approaches to the three major risk types, namely credit, market and operational risk.
Nedbank also aspires to best practice in respect of other risk types and is actively preparing for the implementation of Basel III.
Career opportunities in quantitative risk and capital management exist in all business clusters, as well as in the Group Risk and Balance Sheet Management Clusters. Graduates will be rotated across the various business areas, allowing exposure to a broad range of quantitative techniques.
Graduates are able to make practical use of their mathematical and statistical skills to develop and maintain a broad range of quantitative models that are an integral part of the business processes at Nedbank. The advanced risk measures produced by these models form an integral part of business decisionmaking and strategy.
Qualifications and skills
The basic requirement for a career in the field of quantitative risk management is a bachelor's degree in mathematics or statistics. Other qualifications with a quantitative element will however also be considered. Strong analytical and problemsolving skills are highly desirable as is the ability to work in highly skilled teams.
Click here to apply.
7. Information Technology
|| Group Technology (IT) is a centralised technology unit, which has responsibility for all components of the group's technology processing, development and systems support.
The group's information technology (IT) systems, databases, technology infrastructure, software development and IT projects and programme management are centrally managed to provide economies of scale and facilitate cohesive groupwide service-oriented architecture technology that supports and enables the bank's business strategies.
Group Technology focuses on building Nedbank's future IT landscape, which in turn guides the three-year technology and business-aligned roadmaps. Group Technology is committed to providing flexible and cost-effective IT solutions that are able to evolve quickly and easily to suit the ever-changing requirements of Nedbank Group's business divisions.
Qualifications and skills
We require a diverse range of skills and qualifications from programming, infrastructure support and maintenance, information systems and technology to computer science and many more.
Our business requires people who are creative, analytical, strategic, innovative, have good problemsolving skills and are able to work in teams.
Click here to apply.
- BSc Computer Science
- Bcom IT
- Bcom IS
- BSc Computer Engineering
- IT Diploma
|| Nedbank Wealth is the fastest growing cluster of Nedbank Group - complex, competitive and exciting! Our aim is to create, manage and protect our clients' wealth, while bringing value to their lives.
Nedbank Wealth encompasses a number of businesses offering life and short-term insurance solutions, insurance broking, financial planning, stockbroking, Personal Relationship Banking, wealth and fiduciary, as well as asset management services. With representation in South Africa, London and on the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey, Nedbank Wealth comprises the following three business divisions:
The Insurance Division comprises:
- Nedgroup Insurance - This Gauteng-based short-term insurer specialises in homeowners' cover, personal accident and vehicle-related value-added insurance products including warranty, topup and tyre and rim.
Qualifications - Top, motivated commerce graduates with specialisation in insurance, risk, statistics or IT are best suited to this business.
- Nedgroup Life - This highly innovative life assurer offers credit life, simple risk and savings solutions and a set of differentiated individual risk life products supported by a wellness programme. They are based in KwaZulu-Natal, but have a footprint of highly motivated broker consultants nationally.
Qualifications - If you enjoy working in a sales environment, are self-driven and have a commerce degree, we look forward to hearing from you. We also employ people in support roles with specialisation in insurance, risk, operations and IT.
- Nedbank Insurance Distribution - This distribution business offers personal and commercial short-term insurance products to Nedbank clients.
Qualifications - Top commerce graduates with specialisation in marketing and sales or insurance, risk, and statistics may apply.
The Wealth Management Division comprises:
- Nedbank Financial Planning - This business offers exciting opportunities for graduates who seek reward, flexibility and variety. Nedbank Financial Planning distributes risk and investment products to Retail, Business Banking and high-net-worth clients. We also employ professionals in risk and compliance roles to ensure that we deliver the best advice to our clients.
Qualifications - Depending on your preference for sales or for a more structured role, we look for driven graduates with excellent academic results in commerce with specialisation in financial planning, investments or similar.
- Nedbank Private Wealth - This business provides a full range of transactional banking services as well as investment (including stockbroking), fiduciary and philanthropy services to clients earning more than R1,5 million per year or who has investable assets of more than R5 million.
Qualifications - Top-calibre graduates in commerce or finance with specialisation in Portfolio management, investments, banking, financial planning or mathematics may apply.
- Nedgroup Trust - This business completes the offering to high-net-worth and other clients by providing a full range of fiduciary services.
Qualifications - Law or BCom Law graduates with postgraduate qualifications in financial planning will be considered.
Click here to apply.
- Nedgroup Investments - This highly successful business is responsible for managing and growing the wealth of our clients and boasts a long list of industry accolades.
Qualifications - Top-calibre graduates wishing to specialise in investments may apply. Although we are predominantly looking for commerce graduates, we will also consider chartered accountants and other individuals displaying a natural talent and passion for this industry.